Friday, November 10, 2017

{Foodie Post No.13} Pumpkin Chip Muffins

(Post written on Tuesday)

These are some of my favorite Muffins. Well, assuming it's not possible for all types to be my favorite. I love muffins; blueberry, cranberry orange, apple spice, there isn't a single variety I can think of that I wouldn't gobble down one or two of at the moment.
But these, these will always be a go-to favorite of mine.  The combination of pumpkin and chocolate is off putting or odd seeming to some but let me assure you, they are a match made in heaven. They perfectly compliment the other and are absolutely the best fresh from the oven when the chocolate is still warm and the pumpkin muffin incredibly moist.
I made these for breakfast this morning. 
Éowyn drug me from bed at 7:30 demanding "befst" and it took me 15 minutes to mix these up and get them into the oven. 
To be honest these are not the prime example of these muffins and I feel a little bad posting them but who knows when I'll next make them but this is the season for pumpkin and I know you need this recipe now. So, they're getting blogged today.

I had three quarters of a can of pumpkin in the fridge but this calls for a whole can. I often cut the recipe in half but the last thing I wanted was a quarter can of pumpkin left. I was debating between putting less in a full batch or putting too much in a half batch but I hate altering recipe's that are already the. best. I only throw things around in the kitchen with recipe's that are just 'okay'. So there I was debating what to do when I reached in the fridge to get the can and noticed a plate of left over sweet potato casserole, probably exactly a 1/4 of a 15 ounce can's worth. Problem solved; full batch coming up, also first error to the recipe, sweet potato casserole in place of a small amount of pumpkin. Next I had gotten to adding the dry ingredients when I realized I only had a cup and a half of flour while the recipe calls for 3. Thankfully I had whole wheat flour to finish it off with but, error number two, all purpose flour and whole wheat are not equal.

I'd also like to note that you'll see my muffins are in paper liners. I do not prefer to use paper liners for my muffins but I had two hungry girls asking when they'd have breakfast and putting paper into the muffin tin was slightly faster than greasing each by hand with a paper towel and crisco; I've avoided buying non-stick spray for all of my married life and I'm still not ready to give in. As long as Crisco and paper towels/coffee filters are cheaper that'll probably be my method, of course until convenience wins out ;) Also, I'm not convinced my baked goods need aerosol added, that stuff is only allowed in my redi-whip because goodness knows cool whip is an unacceptable substitute and you don't always have time to whip up Heavy Whipping Cream only to watch it deflate as it waits to be used.  
Note: I have to say that as we've been eating these muffins for the last few days the ones lined with paper actually stayed moist longer, which, I guess makes sense now that I'm thinking about it. 

So there you have it, the reasons I feel like this isn't up to blogging par but the truth is this muffin recipe is so good that in spite of these issues, these muffins were still amazing. 
Also, my pictures didn't turn out all that great; we were in a hurry to eat them and couldn't waste time "staging", sorry, but not really. They were delicious and worth skipping perfect pictures for. Please, do yourself a favor and make these, you will understand.
I'm also editing this to say the chocolate chips in this recipe magically multiply. Every time I make these I am amazed how each bite of every single muffin is filled with chocolate chips. It's not logical but make them and see if I'm not right, every muffin will have a handful of chocolate...

 Ingredients 

First batch cooling


The girls enjoyed their muffins with cups of milk while I had mine with coffee ;)


Pumpkin Chip Muffins

4 Eggs
2 cups Sugar
1 16oz (You'll likely only find 15 nowadays and it'll work) can of Pumpkin Puree
1 cup Oil
3 cups Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 cups Chocolate Chips

Mix wet ingredients. 
Add dry and mix until smooth.
Fill lined or greased muffin tins 2/3 to 3/4 full. 
Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes

Yield: 24-30

2 comments:

  1. These are delicious! I can testify to that fact. :) I blogged pumpkin chip muffins last year. I didn't have a copy of Mommy's recipe but I found one online that sounded the same going from memory.
    That is funny about the spray can oil! I have never bought any since being married either.:)
    Did you know that they sell reusable whip cream aerosol cans? I can't really justify purchasing one at this point in life, but I think it would be a really neat tool to have. The propellent in nitrous oxide, which is the same thing as laughing gas. You have to buy little catridges of n2o go with the whip cream canister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we've both held out on the non stick spray! :P
      You prompted me to search for the whipped cream dispensers on Amazon.. they are so cool and tempting.. maybe someday...

      Delete