Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

I’ve been working, working being a generous word since it’s been over three months, on a series of posts about our trip out West this past summer, but I’m by passing them to post our Thanksgiving season recap. 

Thanksgiving will always be my favorite. No holiday is worthy of more effort, thought, and attention, in my opinion, as the one dedicated to Thanking God for what’s been given us. 

I know 2020 has been an unpopular year, I feel for people who have hated it, those who have experienced loss, shifts in lifestyle, or just great anxiety and fear. 

I’m not among those so it is easy to me to hold to Thanksgiving, and it gives me further reason to celebrate, particularly under the category of anxiety and fear; they hold no power over me, I have been gifted such peace through this year, particularly surrounding the pandemic. 

I haven’t blogged much, as you might’ve noticed, living so far from family and normal was really hard on me and I just didn’t have much to say that I felt would be beneficial to anyone.

But, 2020 is a year that has held an abundance of blessings for our family. Blessings I hold in the open palm of my hand. These blessings are none I deserve, certainly not earned, and I know they could be taken away, but I joy in them everyday while I have them. 

Estel was born this past January and he has been a great baby and addition to our little family.

In March we had a family vacation cancelled by the panic and pandemonium of the pandemic. We took things cautiously for 6 weeks, discerning how to live in these times, how to let it affect us, and after six weeks of following mainstream news, doctors reports, and trends around the world, our lives went back to normal. We have chosen to continue living the way we always have; surrounded by the people we love. Not everyone has made this choice, and they’re welcome to make their own, but for the people we fellowship with, come in contact with, and love, we are all comfortable and at peace with our choice. We’ve spread sickness back and forth, as we always do, no one has had to be tested to find out if any of the sicknesses were Covid. We’ve continued making memories, we’re teaching our children not to live in fear, to make the most of each moment given, and to remember that one day we all will die and we know that day is already chosen by our sovereign God. We pray a lot for those affected greatly by this sickness, for those who do fear, we pray for them to be given peace, for those who have experienced loss to be comforted, and for those isolated and alone, struggling with mental health to be given strength to overcome.

So, the pandemic has blessed us, we’ve been given an insight into living our eternal life counting each moment, holding each day; cherishing our loved ones.

In early summer Casey’s restructured, offering Wesley the next rung on the cooperate ladder, a significant raise, and the option to move back ‘home’ as his region would now encompass most of Indiana and all of Ohio. 

In July the world was open enough for our second vacation planned. My side of the family and our little family headed West. We camped between The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, exploring both, then headed to South Dakota where we camped and experienced prairies and badlands. It was a great trip, we had perfect weather the whole time, and enjoyed the isolation from the world and time with family.

Also in July we found out our fifth baby was on the way. I’m due this coming April. It’s a surprise but it’s a really good blessed surprise.

In August, the day we left for our Smith family beach trip, I saw a house listing and knew it was home. 

We had a great beach vacation.

Two weeks later Wesley and I (and Estel) had a four day getaway to Leadville, CO, home of our first ever date, closest town to the sight of our engagement, and always a special place to visit.

We bought a house. We closed and moved in October. 

That rounds out the year for us. It has been one, bursting at the seams with blessings. 2020 will always be one of my favorite years as we have moved home and life has taken on a pace I thrive in. 

We are all settled here in our new home, a home I could see having the grandkids and great-grandkids come visit us in, a home I’d like to die in. We’re in Ladoga, 20 minutes North of where I thought home would always be, but this could be home forever and I’d be perfectly content. Someday maybe I’ll write a post telling the story of buying this house and settling here. Someday, maybe.

May you enjoy this Thanksgiving Day (week) as much as I, may you find the things to be joyful for, the things to kneel in prayer and worship our great God for. We are so blessed. 

3 comments:

  1. I love you counting your blessings. We are all thankful for many things this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! I also wrote a post related to Thanksgiving. When I got through with me list of things that I am thankful for it dawned on me that I hadn't mentioned any events that had been in the news this year. I have so many things to be grateful for that they completely overshadow the crumby things that 2020 is famous for. It's been a great year. God has blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for all the blessings and time we have had together this year too!

    ReplyDelete