Friday, March 5, 2021

{Foodie Post No. 18 Part ll} Dutch Baby





 Dutch Baby/German Pancake

6 Eggs

1 c Milk

1 c Flour

2 T Sugar

Sprinkle of Salt

4 T Butter

Preheat oven to 450°, regular bake, not convection mode. 

Place butter in a 10” iron skillet and put into the preheating oven.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients being sure to well incorporate the flour. Let set while the oven finishes its preheat. 

Once oven is preheated, pull the skillet with melted butter out, pour batter in, return to oven. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, dust with powdered sugar, slice and serve. 

We often just eat it with the powdered sugar but other versions we like include; fresh sliced fruit, thawed frozen fruit sprinkled with sugar, canned fruits such as peach slices, or maple syrup. Fresh fruit being my preference.

Flavor Options

(One I’ve personally tried)

1 tsp Vanilla

Zest of one Lemon

Nutmeg and Orange Zest

(Ones I’ve read about)

Replace sugar with Honey + Cinnamon 

Thyme and Chives


I took a video back in December of myself making one for breakfast and I intended to add it to this post, I, however, am not very technically inclined and the file is too large so I cannot include it. I also considered putting it on YouTube first then linking the video, but, no luck figuring out how to upload it there, either! Maybe someday I will add it, if Wesley wants to show me how.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I am afraid to try your recipe, though. Not that it looks hard, I would just get my hopes up and then, probably, get them dashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went back and reread your recipe, it’s almost half the eggs to flour/milk ratio as mine... you should give it a try. But from your pictures your whole thing puffs up differently than mine. Mine just goes up the sides and it looks like your whole thing gets soufflé-ish so maybe we’re aiming for different results anyways. 😆

      Delete
  2. Sister in the Midwest you should try it! Remember I always said if it is still edible it wasn’t too bad of a mistake! I am going to try this recipe first and yours next. I am glad for recipe exchanges from my girls to me :)

    ReplyDelete