Wednesday, February 24, 2016

{Foodie Post No.3} Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs

One of my Monday projects was to start a batch of pickled eggs and I am happy to report that it was checked off my to-do list by noon!
This is my mother-in-law's recipe and it is the only way I have found that I truly enjoy boiled eggs. Egg salad is tolerable, deviled eggs must be named based on their near-kin the devil himself, and boiled eggs themselves are only edible with unreasonable amounts of salt and pepper or chopped up on a cob salad. These pickled eggs however I find to be quite yummy. And please, don't write them off as nasty if the only other pickled eggs you've had are the purplish pink dirt flavored beet variety. These are completely different. Give them a chance! And give them to me if you made them and weren't satisfied ;)

Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs

brine ingredients 

boiled and peeled eggs (I forgot to poke them with a fork so after taking this picture I dumped them out and poked then re packed!
boiled brine
the final product, ready for two weeks in the 'fridge
Let me know if you give this recipe a try and what you thought of them if you do! :)
Enjoy! ~Haley

Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs
About 12 hard-cooked boiled eggs(to fill a quart jar), peeled
2 tablespoons pickling salt (I used regular sea salt)
6 fresh or pickled green hot peppers, such as a serrano, slit lengthwise (I used pickled, sliced jalapeno's, because that's what I had!)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 water
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon whole black mustard seeds (I used regular yellow mustard seeds because, again, that's what I had)
1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped

1. With a fork, pierce each egg through six times into the yolk. Put eggs into a quart jar. In a nonreactive saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring them to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer the contents for 15 minutes. Let the liquid cool.

2. Pour the spiced vinegar over the eggs. Cap the jar and refrigerate the jar for at least a week to allow the eggs to absorb the flavorings.

3. Refrigerated, the eggs will keep for several weeks.

I boiled 18 eggs and 1 and a halved this recipe; in the end I think one recipe's worth of brine would have been enough as I had a cup left over. Probably all depends on how packed the eggs are and what size jar you use.

No comments:

Post a Comment