Wednesday, December 14, 2016

{Foodie Post No.7} Salsa Verde


It took something like 24 batches in my two cup food processor, if you have a bigger one, I recommend using it because I got lazy and my salsa ended up quite a bit chunkier than true Salsa Verde should be.


It was an extremely full pot!


Salsa Verde

  • 24 cups green tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 green bell peppers, chopped
  • 4 colored bell peppers, chopped
  • 6+ jalapenos, chopped 
  • 6 onions, chopped
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 heads of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp oregano
  • 2 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper *optional
Simmer salsa on low/med heat for 30 minutes. Stir well.
Adjust salsa to taste.
Once the salsa is done, ladle into prepared jars. 
Wipe rims and place lids and rings on. 
Process for 20 minutes in water bath. Remove from water and allow to cool completely before removing rings.
Yield: 8 quarts

We have used this salsa on chips and enchiladas so far, I feel like it is slightly bland and a little too acidic but the ingredient base is good, I just needed to do more adjusting than I did for my taste preferences but I had run out of onions, garlic, and cilantro; and wanted to have some cumin left! :P


No comments:

Post a Comment