Thursday, October 19, 2017

A Rug (attempt) 3 YEARS In The Making

You may remember my mention of a t-shirt rug on a project to-do list, but, you also may not, because it was in a post way back when I hardly had any blog views. Also, you may not simply because it was a very long time ago.
If you happen to have clicked on the link to check out the post you will be disappointed in my life to know that that list of projects is still mostly unfinished.

  • I never got more paint for the kitchen
  •  I certainly haven't come close to finishing the scarf 
  • BUT I did make that travel-map-board. I didn't paint or decorate it at all but, there is a map, there are pins, strings, pictures, and looking at it brings to mind lots and lots of memories.

The rug project hit a major slow down when my previous sewing machine became too weak to handle the bulk. I switched to sewing it by hand but it was tedious-time-consuming work which eventually fell to the way-side, rolled up in a box, awaiting an era where I had unlimited free time, maybe in 30 years or so.

However, back in July, for my birthday Wesley bought me this lovely heavy duty Singer Sewing machine. I was very excited to put it to use finishing this rug project but I had a few bridesmaid dress alterations that came first. And a couple quick start to finish projects so I could really feel like I was getting some use out of it. Eventually I settled in to my previous sewing pile and finally, finally, I have finished this rug.

Now, most disappointing of all though, this rug turned out to be, as one might say, a Pinterest Fail.
I'm not sure what variables could have caused mine to turn out so badly but badly it did. When I had finished it I immediately sent Wesley a text with a picture saying 'when I die this is the first thing your next wife is going to get rid of, she'll probably burn it' (yes, I know I'm oddly morbid). But really, that is how badly this turned out. The tension is as un uniform as it could get, creating waves and lumps throughout.
On the Pinterest examples no one seemed to have trouble sewing theirs on sewing machines, I'm not sure what varieties they have but even my brand spanking new, all metal, professional grade, heavy duty machine had trouble handling this rug's bulk. Maybe the t-shirts I used were thicker? Even though I cut them to the same specks as everyone recommended.

I'm not sure, but two things I am sure of;
1:The project is finally complete, hallelujah.
2:This rug will grace my bedroom floor as was its intended use for the three years it was in the making. And I will laugh continually for years to come as I see all the time and effort completed into such a sad excuse of a rug.




6 comments:

  1. Cagney looked over my shoulder and said 'Haley finally finished her rug!?!?!' It looks nicer than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will still enjoy it, and that is what matters. It looks nice and cozy. :) I would like my feet hitting a rug like that on a cold morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it's exact purpose. I'm so happy to have it done before winter set in! Our floors are always so cold in the morning.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure the accomplishment in actually finishing a creative venture is enough of a feat. I'm impressed, and as you know I have switched to button making, which takes about a minute each, and I can still barely find the time, so kudos to you. And I think it looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel successful for having finished it. Thank you, Wesley doesn't enjoy tripping over the bumps but that rug is going no where for years to come 😉

      Delete