Monday, April 20, 2020

{Foodie Post No.16 Part II} Butteries; The Recipe

Here is the original hand written copy from my sister, I’ll follow it up with my typed version and come pictures of my efforts. 


Aberdeen Rolls - Butteries

1/2 Tbsp Yeast
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 3/4 cups warm Water
3-4 cups Flour
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Shortening or Lard
(Any combination of butter, shortening, and/or lard should work, I prefer butter so I used mostly butter.)

Combine yeast, sugar, and water to dissolve, allow to set a few minutes to bubble.
Using mixer add salt and flour, kneading on low until a soft, somewhat sticky dough, forms.
Set aside to rise until doubled.

Meanwhile mix butter and shortening/lard careful not to heat/melt.
Preheat oven to 450°.

Once dough has doubled knead gently and turn out onto floured surface. Roll into a rectangle 1/2” thick that would divide into 16 equal squares.
Eyeballing a third of the butter mixture, spread it onto 2/3rds of the dough, fold unbuttered third onto the middle buttered third then the buttered third over both. Roll back to the original size and repeat twice, using up the last 2/3rds of the butter mixture and rolling it back out. Cut into 16 squares. Tuck ends under to form a round-ish shape and place on pan. Allow to rise 45 minutes. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown and flaky.
Enjoy warm with Marmalade or fruit butters or meats and cheeses, or on their own!








I read differing opinions as to tucking the ends under (practical)  vs. tucking them up (pretty) so I did a variety of both, in the end we heartily preferred tucking them under, the edges formed a much better crust for the base when tucked under, and honestly, tucking them up didn’t make them incredibly pretty. 





2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to make these again. I can't believe it has been 10 years since I made Butteries. Thinking about it that way makes me feel so old. I'm old enough to say, "Ten years ago I made, this thing, and I haven't made it since."
    That looks like an interesting rolling pin. What is it made out of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we’re getting so old.
      It’s a marble rolling pin. Wesley got it at IKEA and originally it had a wooden doll rod through the middle but that part was always sliding out and making it awkward since it wasn’t attached at all. Now I just use it with no handles.

      Delete