Thursday, May 28, 2020

Making Dinner

Two weeks (or so) ago I made breakfast for dinner, donuts, specifically.

With this pandemic and all the pandemonium surrounding it leading to the closing of nearly everything, including the gym; paired with my choice outlet being baking, things haven’t been great for Wesley’s healthy lifestyle plans, so, Sunday I told him I would try harder to make fewer breads and sweets. Until Monday, Monday I was in the mood for donuts.

All day I was debating with myself over making them or not then I remembered I’d made them once before and blogged about it. I reread my own post and realized I was dangerously close to the same mistake, waiting too long to start them and not having time to chill the dough.
It was almost 5 when I headed to the kitchen to whip up some donuts. This time I followed a recipe on Pinterest for sour cream donuts instead of buttermilk. I wrapped the dough in wax paper and put it in the fridge while I started other components for dinner, other things like actual food that feeds you instead of the donut variety that only tastes good.
I diced sweet potatoes and onions for a skillet, made 6 slices of bacon into bacon bits, seasoned my potatoes with garlic salt, smoked paprika, rubbed thyme, and the plan was rosemary which I’m out of apparently so I threw in some poultry seasoning instead. I put all of that in the oven to stay warm while I started oil for frying. I used shortening that I had used in the past for chicken strips, not ideal, I know, but also not worth "wasting" another amount of oil or shortening. I pulled the dough out of the refrigerator, it had been chilling for a full hour, the shortest time recommendable. The wax paper ended up being my only mistake and even that might be more a mistake on Mijers part for selling garbage wax paper. Parchment would have been my choice paper but I was out and since this was only to provide a non stick surface I assumed wax would work. Wrong. Every time I've used this particular roll of wax paper it fails me, the dough did stick, very much so. I rolled it out, used a cup to cut the discs then a large cake decorating tip for the holes, if I do this often I should invest in an actual donut cutter because this really slowed up the process. Frying commenced. I was able to regulate the temperature of my oil well, having let the dough rest made a huge difference compared to my last attempt, and over all I was very happy with them.
As soon as they were done I mixed up the glaze, if I never use this donut recipe again I will for sure be using this gaze still, on anything and everything. Browned Butter Maple Glaze. Amazing. Brown your butter, add powder sugar, maple syrup, and milk until its the right consistency. It was so good.
I glazed, pulled the skillet of potatoes from the oven and began frying some over-easy eggs to go on top.
Breakfast for Dinner.
I intended to post this right after it took place but better late than never.





5 comments:

  1. Love how you go through trouble but don’t make it sound like trouble to have things like homemade donuts ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious. SO I guess I am wondering were the donuts good enough to make again or ehhhh. . . ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Definitely good enough to make again. I make donuts so infrequently though that I’d probably try another new recipe each time to see what others I’m missing out on. �� These had lemon zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon which combined really nicely, great cake texture but not at all like the thinner boxed krispy kreme cake donuts.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your story telling! The donuts sound delicious. The pictures look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete