Monday, December 14, 2015

{Foodie Post No. 2} Chile Relleno Soup & Floutas

Upon the request of one of my readers I am going to go ahead and post the recipes for the Chili Relleno Soup and Chicken Floutas in spite of having no pictures of the step by step process. I could hold off and post until I make it again but, who knows when that may be?

The original recipe I found on pinterest, actually I found someone who had reblogged it into a healthier version so I followed her link over to the origin of the unhealthy version: House of Yumm.
You are welcome to simply go over there for the recipe but after rereading her recipe I see I did one or two things differently, so, I will write the whole thing out here.

Chile Relleno Soup
INGREDIENTS:
5 Poblano Peppers
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
One onion chopped
1/2 cup of Cilantro chopped
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1/2 cup Flour
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk
1 cup Cream
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
-------------------
2 Eggs, divided
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (or any frying oil)

To start off with rub a little olive oil over your Poblano Peppers and place them on a foil lined baking pan in your oven. Broil on High for about 10 or 15 minutes making sure to turn them to roast all sides. Once they are looking shrively put them into a ziploc bag (or paper bag) and close it to steam them.

In a 2 quart sauce pan saute the Onion, Cilantro, and Garlic in the Olive Oil and Butter. Once they are soft add the flour and stir until it is browned; about 2 minutes. Add the Chicken Broth, Milk, Cream, Salt, and Pepper. Bring to a low simmer.

Once your peppers have cooled enough to touch remove them from their bag and peel off the skin. Being careful not to shred the peppers, remove the stem and scoop out the seeds. Save two of the peppers whole, chop the other three and add to the soup. Continue to simmer 15 or 20 more minutes.

Whip your Egg Whites for about a minute, until frothy, and add the flour. In a separate bowl beat the Yolks.
Put your frying oil in a skillet and begin to heat.
Taking the two Poblano Peppers you reserved, carefully stuff a small amount of Shredded Cheese into each. Dip the stuffed peppers first into the Egg Yolks and then into the  Egg White Flour mixture. Add them to your oil and fry each side 1-2 minutes.
Add the rest of the Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese to your soup and scoop servings into two large bowls, place the Chile Relleno's on top of the soup and enjoy!

NOTES FROM COOKING WITH HALEY:`
I had a lime so I squeezed some lime juice in the soup and over each bowl because what goes better with mexican cooking than fresh lime juice?!
I found the soup was more than two servings worth so if you want to take my word for it buy two or three more Poblano Peppers and make more Chile Rellenos. Also, you could just skip making the soup all together and just make the Relleno's because, if you're like me you'll agree that they are on the top of the "Best things to order at a Mexican restaurant' list and that is why you made this recipe in the first place.

Chicken Floutas
INGREDIENTS:
1 Chicken Breast shredded
Taco Seasoning
Cilantro chopped
Lime Juice
4 Tortillas

Add a heavy amount of taco seasoning to the shredded chicken breast. Throw in a handful of chopped cilantro and squeeze about half a lime's worth of juice in. Mix that all together and then evenly distribute it between the 4 tortillas and roll very tightly. Fry on each side until golden brown and crispy in 1/2 cup of oil.
NOTES FROM COOKING WITH HALEY:
I made these during the first few steps of the soup recipe and fried them in the oil the soup recipe called for. I then reused it for the Chile Rellenos.
Since these were done before the soup I put them in a pan, squeezed whatever was left in the lime over them and put them in a 375 degree oven to keep them hot and crispy for dinner.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I! Comment letting me know if you make it or do anything differently and share your result :D
~Haley
A low quality picture of this meal but alas, it is the only one I took





2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I am definitely going add this to my list of recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete